Monday, October 18, 2010

The Sixties Project

So as not to seem entirely idle, I will say something about the project that I am presently working on. Again, it is a glimpse at the history of Columbia, Missouri. This time, it is about the civil rights struggle in the mid and late 1960s. The cast of characters could be huge, but I'm trying to focus on a few. Liz Schmidt, a ferocious white liberal churchwoman, will certainly figure large in the story. So will James (Jimmy) Rollins, an activist black student who eventually faced criminal charges, went underground, and fled to Africa. James and I now talk every week, every week getting a part of his story written (or "talked") pretty much in his own words.

The final form of this sixties piece I can't entirely anticipate. I believe it will have at least two "own voice" narrative pillars--Liz's and James's--to which other material can be attached. All suggestions about form or content are most welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment