Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Perils and Pleasures of Writing Local History

I answered the phone yesterday and got the voice of a woman who started right in. "I read your book. Liked it. I have a couple of questions. How did Regina Almstedt pronounce her name? Which house did she lived in? Are you sure she was raped? I hated your cover. You should have had a picture of the bridge. Why would you use that picture on the cover? What does it have to do with anything?" She paused for a breath, and something that resembled a normal conversation followed. She told me that she believed that she was living in the house the Almstedts lived in back in 1923. She said she would be at a talk I am giving next week, but that she didn't want me to mention that she lived in the old Almstedt place. That was between us, a secret.

No problem, since she hung up without mentioning her name.

No comments:

Post a Comment